This is one of the most important things i can do with my girls(well i think so)to make them confident in the kitchen. Being able to provide good food for yourself is a life skill. Also it’s fun and I like to eat!
One of the easiest things to make are oat bars, we add all sorts of things to ours, just keeping to the same quantities so it all still sticks together. The basic recipe is one by Nigella but i often just use what I have in the cupboard.
Here is what we made today
397g condensed milk
250g porridge Oats
75g desiccated coconut
100g dried cranberries
125g sunflower seeds
125g unsalted peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 130 c and grease a 23x33x4cm baking tin.
- Warm the condensed milk in a pan.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir the condensed milk into the dry mix and stir well.
- Put the mixture into the tin and press down well with a spatula or wooden spoon. It’s very sticky so don’t smoosh your hands in it.
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes – 1 hour. I find that my oven is quite hot and 50 minutes is just right.
- Cut in to squares while still warm then leave to cool in the tin.